The original window reveals were 18 inches thick, reflecting the solid brick construction. These were widened during the 1980s renovation to accommodate steel supports and insulation. The ceiling beams are not an original configuration but they camouflage the structural steel beams that are necessary to conform to building code requirements. The French doors leading into the gallery are original; the hardware is not. The west staircase that formed a partition between the center dining area and western parlor was removed in the 1980s renovation because functional space was needed for performances. Three of the four original mantles remain on the first and third floors. The gallery mantle is original. The wooden Italianate mantles are typical of houses built from 1850 ‑ 1875. The heavy curved mantle shelf with arched backboard rests upon a simple frieze board with an ogee arch and is supported by chamfered Doric pilasters surrounding a rectangular plaster and brick hearth.
Trains made a lunch stop each day at the hotel; the cook would ring a bell from the porch to announce the meal. Most travelers were salesmen (called "drummers") who sold linen goods, particularly tablecloths and trademark towels with a border and fringe. An early resident, Mrs. Helen Bourke, remembers that there were two long tables in the dining room. Food was served from a pass through window, probably where the single door to the hall is, and everyone ate family style. Two large sideboards were used for storage and food display. Nancy Walker, known for her delicious tea cakes, would eat with the guests often. When not in the dining room, the drummers would enjoy the air from the rockers on the front porch of the hotel, to the great amusement of children. The Walker's parlor, located on the west side of the gallery, had a piano and loveseat with a few chairs.
Donor Recognition: SAS Institute (Main Gallery), Marian Stedman Covington Foundation (Concert Piano), Bob & Jane Godbold, Dick & Jean Ladd (Rugs). The hearth slate is new purchased from Brandco Products. The draperies on the first floor were designed and sewn Bonnie Gunn of B.G. Custom Windows. The original colors in the building were off white, teal and grey and have been adapted to meet the needs of the late 20th century uses.