Page Educational Gardens
Although an herb garden has complemented the smokehouse since 1977, the Page Educational Gardens were formally dedicated on this site in April 1995. The gardens share the knowledge and lore of past generations through plant materials. Frank Page, who arrived in this area in 1854, was responsible for incorporating Cary in 1871. The smokehouse is the only structure that remains from the Page home place originally located on the site of the present Town Hall. The smokehouse was moved from its original site, a hundred yards to the west, to this site in 1991.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, each household commonly maintained an herb garden. Many of the herbs have been cultivated since ancient times. The word "herb" denotes a plant with specific culinary, medicinal, industrial and ornamental uses.
The Page Educational Gardens have been organized in similar groupings. However, many herbs have multiple uses covering all four categories. CLICK HERE
to see a brochure showing some of the plant materials that played an important part in the daily lives of Cary's earliest settlers. The common and botanical names, growing habits, description and uses are noted.HOURS:
The Page Educational Gardens are open from dawn until dusk for self-guided tours. For group reservations with guided tours, or volunteer opportunities, contact the Supervisor of the Page-Walker Arts & History Center at (919) 460-4963.PLEASE NOTE:
The Page Educational Gardens are for display only. Please do not pick or use any plant material. Any medicinal uses mentioned for the plants listed in our brochure are traditional uses, and we make no claims for their effectiveness or safety.